Monday, July 9, 2012

Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins

As a part of my blog, I'm now adding some of the things I make at home to eat!  Today, I'm featuring a recipe for Vegan Lemon Blueberry Muffins (original recipe from here)

For breakfast, I've been trying to find good ways to get in some type of carb before I go for a run or a bike ride, but every once in a while I decide to make up something yummy for breakfast - this time I made muffins!

Near my own house, there's a lovely vegan bakery, called Wildflour, where they serve Lemon Blueberry Scones.  I decided to go off of what they made and find a muffin recipe with the same idea.  This is what I came up with!

I've also been trying to spend more time at local farmers markets, and then craft my weekly meals around what I find there.  (List of this week's farmer's market haul is at the bottom of the page)


Ingredients:

  • 3 cups flour (I used 2 cups wheat, 1 cup white)
  • 1 1/4 cups sugar
  • 1 tbsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 1/2 cups blueberries (I used fresh)
  • Juice of 2 lemons (or about 1/3 cup)
  • Zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 1/2 cups non-dairy milk (I used almond)
  • 1/2 cup soy yogurt


Topping ingredients:
  • 3/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup turbinado sugar or raw sugar
  • 1/4 cup oil
  • Zest of 1 lemon


Directions:
Set oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.  In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the topping and stir with a fork. Set aside.  In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) and then stir in the blueberries.  In a large bowl, combine the wet ingredients (lemon juice, zest, milk and then yogurt last)  Then, begin to whisk the dry ingredients into the large bowl containing the wet ingredients.  Be careful - don't over-mix!  Spoon into muffin tins with muffin liners.  Fill the cups about 2/3 the way full, then put about a teaspoon full of topping on each muffin.  Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, then enjoy! :)
Additional Info: 133 calories per muffin 


Farmer's Market Haul week of 7-9-12

Fresh blueberries
Fresh baked wheat bread from Provincal Bakery
Green beans
Strawberry Peach Jam

No comments:

Post a Comment